How I Work
- Dynalist.io (free; paid upgrade for premium features)
- For what? I can track all of my todo tasks and notes with a single app.
- Why this tool? I can have nested bullet points that I can collapse and expand at will. Check out a screencast demo herea.
- Try it out! https://dynalist.io/invite/tdJ0CA for a month of free pro, or https://dynalist.io/ (non-referral/affiliate) otherwise.
- RescueTime (free; paid upgrade for premium features)
- For what? I can track when and how long I'm on different apps and websites across all of my electronics. I often need to remind myself that time is my most precious resource, and finding out how I spend it is often eye opening.
- Why this tool? I really like being able to track my website usage across multiple devices (Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, ChromeOS) and automatically enable FocusTime (aka block myself from unproductive websites) when I've been plenty distracted already for the day.
- Try it out! https://www.rescuetime.com/ref/253261?p=_1 (and I get a couple of weeks of free premium?), or https://www.rescuetime.com/ (non-referral/affiliate) otherwise.
- Web Development
- Postman (free; paid upgrade for premium features)
- For what? I can interact with a server without relying on a frontend to work. (Great for debugging!)
- Why this tool? The UI is a lot nicer than that of the
cURL command in my terminal and allows me to easily save/modify my HTTP requests.
- Try it out! https://www.getpostman.com/ (non-referral/affiliate).
- Digital Ocean (paid)
- For what? I can host my personal projects such that I can share them with the whole world.
- Why this tool? I think Digital Ocean's hit the sweet spot between ease of use and granularity of control for my personal needs.
- Try it out! https://m.do.co/c/d4e5a0099c7e for $100 in credit over 60 days, or https://www.digitalocean.com/ non-referral/affiliate otherwise.
- Alternative? Heroku (non-referral/affiliate) is great for projects when I don't care for granularity of control.